You’ve probably seen that bumper sticker that says, “The Labor Movement: The Folks Who Brought You the Weekend.” While the sentiment rings true – and not just about the weekend, let’s be clear – it also evokes a kind of “what have you done for me lately?” feeling.
It turns out the answer is: quite a bit.
Beyond the Weekend, a publication of the American Rights at Work Education Fund, features highlights from five new reports demonstrating the broader value of collective bargaining, including:
- Frontline healthcare workers collaborating with hospital administrators to find real solutions that improve care and control costs.
- Partnerships between union-represented teachers and school administrators boosting student achievement in schools that serve disadvantaged families.
- Union members’ pensions funding public and private works projects that create good American jobs.
- Building trades unions partnering with community groups to create new career paths for workers of color and women.
- And through their unions, childcare providers gaining new skills and resources to improve how they care for children of low-income families.
Read more here » (pdf)
More To Read
November 27, 2023
Apply by January 5th, 2024
November 21, 2023
This one is personal.
November 9, 2023
What can we really learn about taxes, wealth, and policy from the behavior of one person?