State Disability Insurance (SDI) is a partial, short-term, wage-replacement insurance plan for California workers.
SDI provides coverage for two program components:
- Disability Insurance provides partial wage replacement benefits for up to 52 weeks per claim
- Paid Family Leave provides partial wage replacement benefits for up to six weeks (within a 12-month period)
California is one of six U.S. locations with Disability Insurance or Paid Family Leave.
Key points of State Disability Insurance:
- Provides coverage for approximately 13 million California workers
- Provides partial wage replacement of approximately 55% of employee’s income
- Requires employees have qualifying wages in the base period and be in the labor market when the disability or family leave began
More To Read
November 21, 2022
Register for our Session Kickoff Event Today: January 5th, 2023
November 17, 2022
Elected leaders must make addressing healthcare costs a top priority
October 25, 2022
A wealth tax is the missing link to Washington’s tax code