State Disability Insurance (SDI) is a partial, short-term, wage-replacement insurance plan for California workers.
SDI provides coverage for two program components:
- Disability Insurance provides partial wage replacement benefits for up to 52 weeks per claim
- Paid Family Leave provides partial wage replacement benefits for up to six weeks (within a 12-month period)
California is one of six U.S. locations with Disability Insurance or Paid Family Leave.
Key points of State Disability Insurance:
- Provides coverage for approximately 13 million California workers
- Provides partial wage replacement of approximately 55% of employee’s income
- Requires employees have qualifying wages in the base period and be in the labor market when the disability or family leave began
More To Read
June 30, 2022
Family isn't one-size-fits-all - work-family laws shouldn't be either
June 24, 2022
The fight for reproductive rights is far from over