About the Economic Opportunity Institute
EOI is an independent, nonpartisan, nonprofit public-policy center using research, education and advocacy to encourage public debate and advance new policy ideas that help build an economy that works – for everyone.
We all count on government, including our democratically elected leaders, to make sound public policy choices that protect and promote broad economic opportunity for our children, families and communities. But when public policy decisions are dominated by narrow self-interest and the drive for private gain, civic institutions fail to develop solutions to our common problems. That undermines the American Dream.
Our mission is to build an economy that works for everyone by advancing public policies that promote educational opportunity, good jobs, healthy families and workplaces, and a dignified retirement for all.
Working in concert with grassroots organizations, community coalitions and elected officials, we publish research, encourage public debate, and catalyze policy initiatives that make Washington state a better place to live, work, raise a family, and do business. We focus primarily on promoting high-quality education, high-road economic development, modern work-life standards, retirement security, and shared investments in our common future.
Over the next 5 years we will continue to research and analyze economic changes, as well as the evolving needs of Washington’s workers and families. We’ll focus our creative policy development, rigorous research, strategic communications and coalition partnerships to:
- Inform Washingtonians about two new statewide programs – paid sick days and paid family and medical leave – which allow people to take care of their health and their families without losing economic security;
- Ensure every child gets a strong start in life through high-quality early childhood education, with educators and caregivers who are well paid, thereby reducing turnover and ensuring high quality care;
- Create opportunities for every worker to save for a more secure retirement, while protecting and strengthening Social Security, “America’s pension”;
- Promote policies that extend quality health coverage to everyone in the state and eliminate crippling health debt;
- Advocate for a progressive tax structure to support evolving public needs.